Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Final Countdown

     

       As soon as I crossed the Bay Bridge on April 20th, 2009, I knew I had made the right choice. Instantly I met people like myself who were much like the settlers who traveled West seeking opportunity and adventure in the 1800s. The people I met talked about traveling and living abroad, something that had never crossed my mind. Hell, I never flew until I was a senior in college and San Francisco felt like a far away land compared to the cookie cutter New England town I grew up in.

     The drive cross country, (that got me to San Francisco) exposed me to the different lifestyles and cultures across the US and fueled my curiosity. Meeting so many interesting people and discovering backpacking in California is ultimately what set the stage for the journey I'm about to embark on.

     Another event that took place early on in San Francisco was going to see the opening for "180 Degrees South". My friend invited me to the Victoria Theater in San Francisco to see a movie I had never heard of. That movie opened my eyes to a foreign land rich in culture and history. For me, a one to two week trip wouldn't do and I was set on traveling for an extended period of time to fully enjoy the journey rather than rush the experience.

    Jess (girlfriend/co-pilot/sidekick) and I will start our journey tomorrow heading to Buenos Aires and after a week, fly down to Patagonia. After two weeks in Patagonia we'll head to Valparaiso, Chile to meet her Aunt. From there, Billy (Burner Billy, Bingle, Uncle Billy) Keller will join us in Santiago and we'll work our way up to Peru. We'll also be stopping in Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua (although nothing is set in stone after March 6th).

     My goal is to keep family and friends posted on our adventures along the way. This is my first blog, so please bear with me and if you have any suggestions or know people who might be helpful, please feel free to have them email me. For those who have already done so, it's already been a huge help.

    Thanks for all the support over the past few months and have a great start to 2014!



1 comment:

  1. Have fun and stay safe. I hope you update this on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete